Thursday, August 15, 2013

Taming the Wild -- Classroom Management



Our primary level came up with these simple five school rules years ago.   A teacher had her husband create us signs at his printing shop.  They are simple and to the point.

To encourage the children throughout the day I use Rainbow Behavior Cards.  You flip to the color.  This works perfect for me.  This will be my fourth year using the same cards.  Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
(Ok…less work for me!  Yeah!)

Each color card represents a level of behavior.  I love pointing out positive behavior to the children.  I even let them flip forward for the best work on assignments! 

I found this cute/FREE banner at First Grade Fever to remind my students of what it means to be a good listener.  It hangs above the Rainbow Behaviochart.  


If they make it to the top of the Rainbow (red card,) I give them an extra sticker for the day on their folder. 

For every five extra stickers they earn, they can pick a surprise reward card. 

What is on these reward cards:
·      A surprise bag (aka…junk from this box)

·      pick the next brain break song

The Very Busy Classroom's
Collection of Brain Break Songs
·      pick your own reading buddy
·      pick an eraser
·      pick your own pencil mechanical pencil (I use these and the kids think they are awesome.)
·      First to pick a recess toy.
·      Teacher Helper for the Day
·      Rock Your Socks Off (You can take your shoes off in the classroom.)

Of course you have the occasionally child who gets to the bottom of the rainbow, we have a conference together.  We also talk to a parent after school and see what better choices could be made during the day.   

Read more ideas at Blog Hoppin

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of having a conference with the student to see what choices could be made differently to improve their behavior. That would be great, even with high schoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouuu I *love* your rainbow behaviour chart! I've never really seen anything like that before besides the basic clip chart. It's fabulous that the kiddies get to feel recognized by flipping their own card when they're "caught" being good.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    Sam
    Fun With Firsties

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...